Health Benefits of Omegas Explained
Omega-3 fatty acids, Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), have been well studied for their role in the support of many systems in the body. Did you know that over 60% of your brain is actually fatty acids? They are very important for not only our brain function but many other bodily functions too and they offer many health benefits. Read on for all you need to know about Omegas and what products would be best for you.
The main functions that Omegas have in our body are:
- Brain: DHA, an essential omega-3 fatty acid, contributes to maintenance of normal brain function.
- Heart: EPA and DHA contribute to the normal function of the heart and help to promote good cardiovascular health.
- Vision: DHA, an essential omega-3 fatty acid, contributes to maintenance of normal vision. This is because fatty acids are a major structural component of the eye.
- Muscles and Bones: Omegas can help in reducing the incidence of osteoporosis and arthritis in adults.
- Skin, Hair and Nails: DHA is a structural component of the skin and having enough of it can help to maintain soft, moist, supple skin.
- Pregnancy: It is very important to have enough omega-3’s for the growth and development of the brain in infants.
Where can we get Omega’s in our diet?
- Oily Fish such as salmon, tuna or herring
- Nuts and Seeds such as chia, flax, hemp seeds and walnuts
- Green Vegetables
- Eggs from chickens reared on grass and plants
- Meat from animals reared on a grass-fed diet
Many people find it difficult to consume enough of these foods, in particular if you don’t consume oily fish. It is always recommended to try and get all of your nutrients from your food but if this is not possible you may need to supplement with an Omega supplement to help support your brain, heart and vision as well as all of the other health benefits Omegas have.
Who should consider supplementation with an Omega?
- People who don’t eat fish, particularly oily fish, in their diet
- If you are stressed
- If you have exams or deadlines approaching
- If trying to conceive for both men and women
- During pregnancy
- During the early stages of childhood development
- If keeping active to ensure the joints are lubricated
If you are thinking of starting an omega supplement and are taking other medications, undergoing treatment or pregnant or breastfeeding pleases be sure to check with your pharmacist or doctor before starting a supplement to ensure that it is safe for you.
Here are my top recommended products to take:
Eskimo Brain 3.6.9 combines the unique stable fish oil, Eskimo-3, with ingredients such as CoQ10 and GLA to optimize brain and energy support. It provides high levels of omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA which support heart health, vision, normal blood pressure, skin health and normal triglyceride levels. It also contains omega-6 derived from evening primrose oil and omega-9 fatty acids, a monounsaturated fatty acid found in large quantities in the healthy Mediterranean diet. Other ingredients in this product include:
- CoQ10 which is found in virtually every cell of the body and is a crucial part of the process of converting food into energy. Low levels of CoQ10 are common, especially among older adults.
- Vitamin D which contributes to immune health, normal bone, tooth and muscle health and cell division.
- Vitamin E which contributes to the protection of cells from oxidative stress, as well as protecting the Brainsharp formula itself.
- Pufanox®, an antioxidant mixture, for incredible freshness and stability, meaning no fishy odour or aftertaste.
With all of these active ingredients, Eskimo Brain 3,6,9 is suitable for anyone who is looking to increase their brain power, sharpen their focus, support their heart health and ensure their vision is the best it can be.
Adults and children over 12 years should take 2-4 capsules daily with food, or as directed by your healthcare practitioner. Capsules can be taken once daily.
MorEPA Smart Fats High EPA Formula is a highly concentrated omega-3 supplement. It contains 590 mg of EPA and 130 mg of DHA which offer many health benefits such as contributing to the normal function of the heart, brain function and vision.
For adults and children as of 12 years old 1 softgel should be taken per day, with a meal.Wiley's Finest fresh fish oil is produced in Alaska from wild Pollock caught in US waters. They then purify and gently concentrate the oil up to 85% omega-3 to provide a Peak dose in every capsule.
One capsule should be taken daily with food.
SuperbaBoost Krill Oil from Revive Active is a natural source of essential Omega-3 fatty acids harvested from pristine Antarctic waters. With 100% purity and 100% traceability from sea to shelf, this omega-3 supplement is an extremely bioavailable source of essential omega-3 fatty acids, EPA and DHA. This means that it very well absorbed by our body. Daily supplementation is required and the recommended dose is 2 capsules per day, which contains 250mg EPA & DHA and 82.5mg of Choline.
This product also contains Liver Choline which contributes to the maintenance of normal liver function.
Skin Omegas+ by advanced nutrition have many benefits for our skin. They are specifically formulated to benefit our skin as they contain additional ingredients such as vitamin A. Benefitting from the addition of vitamin A, Skin Omegas+ is the perfect companion to your skincare regime. It contains optimum levels of EPA (omega 3) along with GLA (omega 6) made from Evening Primrose Oil which help to keep the skin soft, supple and hydrated. This product cannot be taken in pregnancy as it contains vitamin A.Omegas in Children:
It is particularly important for children to have fish oils in their diet or from a fish oil supplement source if it is not possible to incorporate it in the diet from a young age. It is an essential nutrient for them to meet developmental milestones in their life, for their brain development, function and in learning and memory. There is evidence to suggest that it can be particularly useful in children diagnosed with ADHD by reducing symptoms and improving school performance.
The supplement I recommend the most for children is the Eskimo-3 Kids. It is a great tasting orange liquid that kids love. It contains a healthy balance of Omega-3, 6 & 9 fatty acids that comes from fresh, deep sea fish and not from cultivated fish. It also contains vitamin D for healthy bone development in growing children and vitamin E helps to keep it fresh longer.
The recommended dose of this fish oil supplement for children aged 1-12 years is one teaspoon (5ml) daily with food.We are proud to offer a wide range of omega supplements and fish oils at Meaghers Pharmacy. If you would like any further information on this topic please reach out to any of our teams, call us on 01485098 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Anderson GJ, Connor WE, Corliss JD. Docosahexaenoic acid is the preferred dietary n-3 fatty acid for the development of the brain and retina. Pediatr Res. 1990 Jan;27(1):89-97. doi: 10.1203/00006450-199001000-00023. PMID: 2136947.
Peter S, Chopra S, Jacob JJ. A fish a day, keeps the cardiologist away! - A review of the effect of omega-3 fatty acids in the cardiovascular system. Indian J Endocrinol Metab. 2013;17(3):422-429. doi:10.4103/2230-8210.111630
Kruger MC, Coetzer H, de Winter R, Gericke G, van Papendorp DH. Calcium, gamma-linolenic acid and eicosapentaenoic acid supplementation in senile osteoporosis. Aging (Milano). 1998 Oct;10(5):385-94. doi: 10.1007/BF03339885. PMID: 9932142.
Danao-Camara TC, Shintani TT. The dietary treatment of inflammatory arthritis: case reports and review of the literature. Hawaii Med J. 1999 May;58(5):126-31. PMID: 10377605.
Bloch MH, Qawasmi A. Omega-3 fatty acid supplementation for the treatment of children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder symptomatology: systematic review and meta-analysis. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2011 Oct;50(10):991-1000. doi: 10.1016/j.jaac.2011.06.008. Epub 2011 Aug 12. PMID: 21961774; PMCID: PMC3625948.